The 5 Love Languages™ are easy to incorporate into your everyday life to show friends and family alike how much you care. See how we at DEMDACO strive to lift spirits through this proven theory.
For those who may not have heard of The 5 Love Languages™, their website explains the theory as such:
"The premise of The 5 Love Languages™ book is quite simple: different people with different personalities give and receive love in different ways. By learning to recognize these preferences in yourself and in your loved ones, you can learn to identify the root of your conflicts, connect more profoundly and truly begin to grow closer."
How powerful is that? The more we know ourselves and those in our lives, the better equipped we are to show them how much we deeply care!
Naturally, it can be tricky to offer support and love if someone has the need to receive these in different ways than our personal top trait or two. Here are some simple yet effective ways to show everyone in your life, no matter what their top love languages are, that they hold a special place in your heart.
1. Acts of Service: "For these people, actions speak louder than words."
- Cook them their favorite meal
- Offer to help them with a DIY project
- Surprise them and clean their house/apartment
- Wash their car
- Run errands for them
- Help with something without being asked
2. Quality Time: "This language is all about giving the other person your undivided attention."
- Connect with them through eye contact
- Stay off of social media/try not to check your phone
- Cook together
- Preplan a thoughtful date
- Arrive on time for a scheduled date
- Take a trip together
- Simply sit and have a conversation
*Tip: the key here isn't quantity, it's quality. A little will go a long way. It's about making the most of the time you have together.
3. Physical Touch: "To this person, nothing speaks more deeply than appropriate physical touch."
- Offer a hug with hello and goodbye
- Hold their hand
- Rub their shoulders
- Give them a back/foot massage
- Play with their hair
- A sweet touch as you walk by them
- Snuggles (of course!)
4. Words of Affirmation: "This language uses words to affirm other people."
- Tell them you love them
- Tell them why you love them
- Notes or texts of appreciation
5. Receiving Gifts: "For some people, receiving a heartfelt gift is what makes them feel most loved."
- A memento from a special date
- Bring them one of their favorite treats
- Something they've mentioned they would like
*Tip: this love language isn't extravagant or worldly, it's showing them you know them well.
Don't be hard on yourself as you strive to lift a loved one's spirit through their love language. They'll be able to see you're showing up and exercising a genuine effort, which in and of itself will warm their heart.
For those in your life who love receiving gifts, browse our heartfelt collection of gifts that will show them they're known and oh, so loved.
The 5 Love Languages™. "What Are the Five Love Languages." https://5lovelanguages.com/learn 13 July 2022.