Sweets are good for the soul (in moderation of course). There's just something about munching on a tasty treat that makes the tummy happy and the heart do a mini dance.
We personally love a dessert that's fresh and bursting with flavor and color. Chocolate is a must, but these easy dessert recipes offer you a refreshing, light treat that's sure to make your palate jump for yummy joy.
Recipe #1: Luscious Layered Orange Cake
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted sweet cream butter, melted
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp orange extract
- 4 tbsp orange zest
- 3-5 drops of orange gel food coloring
- 6 sticks (3 cups) unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 6-8 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large piping bag fitted with a star tip
- 1 small angled spatula
- Orange gel food coloring
- 2 medium mixing bowls
- For the Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 3 9-inch baking rounds with baking spray.
- Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the eggs, butter and sugar until combined.
- Beat in the buttermilk, vanilla, orange extract and orange zest until combined.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture until combined.
- Add orange food coloring, mix until combined. Divide the batter between the 3 pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife comes out clean in the center.
- Allow the cakes to cool down completely. Then cut the dome on top of the cake and the stiff sides.
- For the Frosting & Assembly: Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla on low speed until smooth; then mix for an additional 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter. Spread 1 cup of frosting over top, then top with the second cake layer, pressing lightly down.
- Spread 1 cup of frosting evenly over the top. Repeat the steps with the remaining 2 cake layers.
- Frost a crumb coat onto the cake and then place cake into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Decorating Directions: Scoop 1 cup of white frosting into 1 bowl. In the first bowl, mix in a few drops of orange gel food coloring.
- Remove cake from fridge and place onto a rotating cake stand.
- Scoop 1 cup of white frosting into the piping bag.
- Using remaining white frosting, frost entire cake and smooth with a cake smoother.
- Using the angled spatula, scoop out some orange frosting and randomly dap it onto the white frosting.
- Using the cake smoother, smooth the orange frosting into the white to create a unique blend.
- Pipe dollops of white frosting onto the top. Zest an orange over the top and place in the fridge overnight to allow frosting to harden before enjoying!
Recipe #2: Easy Fruit Tart
For the Crust:
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 10 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 (8-oz.) container mascarpone cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
For the Topping:
- 1 cup halved strawberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 2 mandarins
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- Make Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt.
- Add melted butter and almond extract and stir until dough forms.
- Press mixture into a 10" tart pan with a removable bottom, pressing dough all the way up the sides and until dough is smooth.
- Prick all over with a fork and bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Make Filling: In a medium bowl using a hand mixer, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- In a large bowl, beat mascarpone and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, lemon juice and almond extract and beat until no lumps remain.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Spread filling over cooled crust and arrange fresh fruit on top.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat together preserves and 2 teaspoons water until warmed, 30 seconds.
- Brush over tart and refrigerate until well chilled, 2 hours.
Serve your goodies with serveware that's handcrafted and decorative (it will make your treat extra sweet!).
The Savvy Mama Lifestyle. "Luscious Layered Orange Cake Recipe: Spring Dessert." https://www.savvymamalifestyle.com/layered-orange... 28 Feb. 2023.
delish. "Easy Fruit Tart." https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a32896... 28 Feb. 2023.